Get It Together Becky

Via Angel Ahmed, Guest Contributor

Slacking is not cute.

We all have days where we want to nap away the stress and anxiety that comes with school. However that isn’t going to get you anywhere.  According to a study conducted by the StudyMode team from StudyMode.com, 86% of high school students procrastinate on assignments. When students are given an assignment, they aren’t as motivated to get the task done especially if the due date is so far away. It  makes sense. Why stress over an essay right now when it’s due in two weeks. Scrolling through Instagram or watching Netflix sounds good for now, right? Wrong. According to the article Your Smartphone Can Reduce Your Brainpower, Even If It’s Just Sitting There by Robinson Meyer, “…smartphones can demand its user’s attention even when the person isn’t using it or consciously thinking about it”(Meyer, Journal of the Association for Consumer Research). This shows how modern technology such as cellphones have taken control over our minds. Pipes also writes, “Deep scheduling – Try scheduling deep work hours well in advance on a calendar, like two or four weeks ahead of time.” Prioritizing your time for assignments is the key to success! Prioritizing avoids procrastination. With procrastination eliminated, there is a greater chance of success and productivity.  To such an extent where even when a cellular device isn’t even in the room, it still has a certain power over the owner’s mind. “Power” meaning the individual anticipates notifications such as: texts, calls, and social media alerts. In order to avoid your phone as a distraction you should place it on do not disturb. Another suggestion is to leave your phone outside the environment.

You better put that damn phone down and concentrate.

Finding a place that works for you in order to complete a sufficient amount of work is vital to being productive. When a student is in a controlled environment, there are less distractions. According to the article Why deep work matters in a distracted world by Taylor Pipes, “…created illustrations of escaping to a place of comfort as a way to get stuff done”(Pipes,2017). Therefore you are able to thrive in a space with limited distractions and be productive. This is all fancy talk for move yourself into a room or area that relaxes you the most. This could be an office, the library, Starbucks, your room, it could even be the bathroom floor. Think of deep work as an equation. According to the article it states, “Work accomplished= (time spent) x (intensity)” (Pipes,2017). When a student dedicates an intense amount of time, they are able to work deeply and complete the task. When an individual has high levels of concentration along with consistent intervals, there is going to be productivity. For all my short attention span readers, don’t stress. I got you. Instead of working for long periods of time take short breaks in between each interval. An example would be working for 30 minutes straight and then taking a 5 to 10 minute break before continuing with your work.  Self control and restriction is an important quality to obtain especially when completing a task. According to the article, What does it take to succeed in school?, “Self control is required to what is necessary to obtain good grades. Getting good grades may not be the same as learning.” Learning is different than memorizing facts. When you learn something, it means you’ve internalized the content and can interpret it into your own understanding. A concept is not only comprehended but is also understood. These students are able to apply it to real life conversations as opposed to memorizing the content, then getting the A. There isn’t anything wrong about getting a good grade, do you boo. It isn’t a good thing to memorize something and not actually understand. That defeats the whole purpose of waking up at the crack of dawn and sitting for 6 hours. What this all means, is learning suffers without the self- discipline required to fulfill deep work.

Aight so boom, real talk.

Mental health. This is the biggest key to success for succeeding in school. If you’re anything like me you may push yourself a little too hard and never give yourself a break. This is a great way to put yourself on the road for student BURNOUT. Student burnout is when a student loses their determined attitude and doesn’t care that much anymore. In Importance of being healthy, Ron Kurtus states, “It is important to be emotionally healthy in order to study effectively.” This means with a healthy state of mind you’re able to accomplishment more. In school there are times where it can be difficult staying positive. Accepting failure is one of these circumstances. For some people acknowledging and understanding their failures can be as easy as a brush off the shoulder. However for other people such as myself, we have a hard time accepting failure. Over time I had to learn that failing is a part of growing not only as a student but also as an individual. When you accept failure you’re allowing yourself to learn from previous mistakes and grow from it. Got a D- on your math test? It’s going to be okay, boo! Look back on what you got wrong, and depending on your teacher’s policies correct your mistakes for a higher grade. With this comes the idea of a growth mindset. A growth mindset is the ability to be open minded and learn different things while improving your intelligence and traits. According to the article Carol Dweck Revisits the ‘Growth Mindset’ by Carol Dweck it states, “We found that students’ mindsets—how they perceive their abilities—played a key role in their motivation and achievement, and we found that if we changed students’ mindsets, we could boost their achievement.” Students are motivated to do well when they have the right attitude. Dweck  suggests that students who believed their intelligence could advance did better than those who believed that they were just born with their intelligence.

If you don’t know, now you know.

No one ever said high school was going to be easy. However, these tips and tricks are the fundamental keys to success in order to succeeding not only in high school, but even in college.