Revere High School and Credit Union Partner with College Planning Organization

Julia Tran, Staff Writer

As students apply for college, they become empowered with choices and freedom. They get to decide where they want to apply, what they like in a school, what they want to major in–kings surveying their domain of possible paths to take. With that position comes increased responsibilities and increased anxiety. The sword of Damocles hangs over the head of any student who plans on attending a four-year college, and that sword is made of money.

It seems like an accepted trend to worry about money as we apply for college, but why should we put ourselves in that position? Why should we be worried as the clock ticks down to Early Action, Early Decision, and all those other due dates? This year, Revere High School and the Revere Credit Union has partnered with Inversant “to empower families to invest in higher education.” Nearby cities, Boston, Chelsea, Lynn, and Salem, have worked with Inversant to help over 1,200 families save around $1 million.  

Here’s how it works: Open up a savings account with the Revere Credit Union, and Inversant will match your savings. If you’re a junior, depositing $25 a month for 20 months until your high school graduation will earn you $500, which Inversant will then match, and you would have earned a free $500 towards your education. There is a limit of $1000, but the benefits of joining Inversant goes beyond that.

In addition to helping pay for your college education, Inversant also provides what arguably is one of the greatest gifts a person can receive: education. At RHS, Inversant holds monthly hour-long learning circles on topics such as financial aid, types of colleges, and how to pick a major. There are two sessions that take place at once, one in English in the Learning Commons, the other in Spanish in the Writing Center. Parents are welcomed, and dinner is provided- if the free knowledge isn’t valuable enough. Tiffany Currie, RHS’s resident Coordinator of College, Careers, and External Learning Opportunities says “It’s really a lot of fun. The parents that were here really learned a lot of information, even parents who already have kids in college felt it to be very helpful.”

Although it’s mainly high school students focused on colleges, any family in Revere Public Schools can enroll. What’s great about this program is that it requires you to take charge, to take an initiative of your future, and in doing so, you’ll feel more comfortable when it comes time to actually apply for colleges. Currie affirms “the whole philosophy is that if you prepare for college when you have your kids younger, they’re more up to succeed and graduate in time to go to college. And you have some support financially to get into college.”

Help yourself and they will help you. Watch your worries abate. Financial planning, taking advantage of available opportunities, and being responsible are measures that will not only be advantageous for college, but for the rest of your life.

To find out more, visit Ms. Currie in the Writing Center.