Student Spotlight: Mithsuca Berry

Balsam El Alam, Rania Bensadok, Staff Writers

Hello, I’m Mithsuca! Throughout my high school career, I have been building up a reputation as an artist as well as an activist. It’s taken a lot of self-reflection in my work and an ability to use my voice in the most influential way, visually. As a black woman in our time art has been the best way to express beyond the weight that race plays on one’s self-esteem and mental health wellness. Although art is something you look at to observe, through my work I want to humanize the black body. Too much is their failure to recognize black people as humans, multidimensional beings. So through my work, I’ve been able to show black pain, black joy, beauty and more, giving life to people that have been sucked dry and turned into marketing plan or into media’s fear tactic. My art hasn’t always been this vulnerable and diverse, it was once as lackluster and closed up as I felt growing up. It takes a long time to dismantle self-hate that society implants in you at a young age, it’s scaring and honestly it hasn’t all disappeared, but that’s for me to continue growing from. I can happily say that my artistic healing has lead me to many opportunities. I’ve been in publications such as Dazed, Teen Vogue, and Rookie magazine. I’ve collaborated with creators like Kitty Kash, Amandla Stenberg, and most recently my collaboration with designers of Baja East for fashion week. I do all these things but truly it isn’t about anything other than filling the earth with enough black art that it doesn’t feel like anything but a reflection of life. I try to remind myself that although right now systematically I am not seen as a priority, my intelligence and worth can be found through my love for my community. That applies to any and every person of color living in America, especially the youth. Their voices are a melting pot of values and needs that should be heard. In the next year I hope to continue working on events catered to empowerment, and my on solo exhibition for my work, a gift to me and my vulnerability.