The Rise and Fall of the “Man-Bun”

Photo 1: Whole head man bun (Jared Leto). Photo 2: Half Bun (Tom Brady). Photo 3: “Side shaven man bun safe haven.”
Photo Credit: Buzzfeed
Compiled by: Samantha Karl

Photo 1: Whole head man bun (Jared Leto). Photo 2: Half Bun (Tom Brady). Photo 3: “Side shaven man bun safe haven.” Photo Credit: Buzzfeed Compiled by: Samantha Karl

Allison Casper

Allison Casper

Samantha Karl, Editor

In 2016, many new fashion trends surfaced as “vogue” in modern media. One of these bold statements was the ever-so-sexy, man bun. Dating back all the way to the 18th century in the form of a powdered wig mini ponytail, the man bun has returned better than ever before in this past year.

The skyrocketing popularity of the man-bun began with hipsters who wanted to “differentiate themselves from their brethren who wore slicked back undercuts and contour haircuts,” according to the official site of the man-bun hairstyle.

Like any other hair trends in the United States and Britain, the nuanced man-bun craze was brought back on the scene via Hollywood. Some of the most popular faces linked to the trend are Chris Hemsworth, David Beckham, Harry Styles, Jared Leto, and my personal favorite– Leonardo DiCaprio. The bun not only adds an edge to their look, but it continued to influence the social circles of celebrities all throughout 2016.

According to the official Man Bun Hairstyle website, the man-bun is a “long hairstyle that involves the tying of one’s hair into a single bun to be placed upon the crown area of the head.” It has also been referred to as the “hipster bun” and the “dude bun,” though they are far less qualified terms.

The man-bun can take on three forms, which has caused a lot of uproar in the department of fashion, raising the question– Is his hair actually long enough for a man bun? Some man buns require all hair to be back into one single bun or knot with no hair out, the whole head man-bun. (Photo 1). Others, like half buns, allow some hair to be left out of the bun to add more of a wow-factor (Photo 2). The last form of man bun is one that I like to call the “side shaven man bun safe haven.” This form of a man bun is commonly seen with the sides of hair shaven, and the long top part of the hair tied up.

A controversial aspect of the man bun is the difference been a man-bun and a man-ponytail. These terms are not interchangeable because a man-bun is NOT a man-ponytail because the bun should be in the form of a knot. The best aspect of a man-bun, however, is that it has no racial bias. Anyone can rock a man bun as long as it follows the rule of length (The hair needs to be long enough. Period).

“The bun just shows so much more sophistication,” says Elizabeth DiManno, junior at RHS, on the controversy.

Even students at RHS have noticed the trend and gave it a try themselves. We went to the halls of the school to get the real truth on how students feel about the man-bun phenomenon.

One anonymous student commented that she once saw a man bun that “resembled an artichoke” on the center of a classmate’s head who wore a man-bun.

Though there is a deep confusion in some students who noticed the trend, other students, like Sophia Deleon, senior at RHS, says she has seen “some real nice man buns” especially on men with naturally curly hair.

Sean Kirby, senior at RHS, ponders the man-bun trend and notes, to those who chose to wear a man bun, “Why? Just, why?”

Though the fall of the man-bun is a mystery, the media is now covering the hair style less. Some may go as far as saying the trend “dying” out (haha, get it?).